Population Growth Devastating World Wildlife — Help Reverse the Trend
POPULATION ENVIRONMENT BALANCE
URGENT ACTION ALERT
The World Wildlife Fund and the Zoological Society of London confirm many conservationists’ worst nightmares:
World Wildlife Populations are in “Freefall around the world … driven by human over-consumption, population growth and intensive agriculture…”.
“Wildlife populations are in freefall around the world, driven by human overconsumption, population growth and intensive agriculture, according to a major new assessment of the abundance of life on Earth.
“On average, global populations of mammals, birds, fish, amphibians and reptiles plunged by 68% between 1970 and 2016, according to the WWF and Zoological Society of London (ZSL)’s biennial Living Planet Report 2020. Two years ago, the figure stood at 60%.
“The research is one of the most comprehensive assessments of global biodiversity available and was complied by 134 experts from around the world. It found that from the rainforests of central America to the Pacific Ocean, nature is being exploited and destroyed by humans on a scale never previously recorded.
“The analysis tracked global data on 20,811 populations of 4,392 vertebrate species … vertebrate wildlife populations are collapsing, falling on average by more than two-thirds since 1970….
“Latin America and the Caribbean recorded the most alarming drop, with an average fall of 94% in vertebrate wildlife populations. Reptiles, fish and amphibians in the region were most negatively affected, driven by the overexploitation of ecosystems, habitat fragmentation and disease.
“Africa and the Asia Pacific region have also experienced large falls in the abundance of mammals, birds, fish, amphibians and reptiles, dropping 65% and 45% respectively. Europe and central Asia recorded a fall of 24%, while populations dropped 33% on average in North America. To form the Living Planet Index (LPI), akin to a stock market index of wildlife, more biodiverse parts of the world, such as tropical regions, are given more weighting.
“Experts said the LPI was further evidence of the sixth mass extinction of life on Earth, with one million species at risk because of human activity, according to the UN’s global assessment report in 2019. Deforestation and the conversion of wild spaces for human food production have largely been blamed for the destruction of Earth’s web of life.
“The report highlights that 75% of the Earth’s ice-free land has been significantly altered by human activity, and almost 90% of global wetlands have been lost since 1700….”
Source: “Humans exploiting and destroying nature on unprecedented scale – report,” Patrick Greenfield, The Guardian.com, 09/10/2020
Common sense confirms that human population growth increases the need for food. How can that food be provided without intensive agriculture and intensive exploitation of marine resources? Human needs trump other uses of a resource. Other creation is displaced so that humans can eat.
And with the world population increasing by over 80 million per year, the trend will continue unless the World Population growth rate can be stabilized or reversed. With its current, replacement level fertility rate, the USA’s population would eventually stabilize if mass immigration were halted.
Almost fortuitously, US immigration law is the key to both stabilizing population size here and decreasing the World Population growth rate. Countless studies by anthropologists and historians show that cultures evolve to keep population size and resources in a rough balance. When people perceive that available resources make it difficult to raise children appropriately, according to their own standards, they want fewer or no children. Resource scarcity exerts downward pressure on fertility rates. Many studies in support of this explanation are found in Population Politics, by Dr. Virginia D. Abernethy, and more studies are summarized in a recent collection, The Vanishing American Dream.
The actionable implication is that US immigration law should not become a tool for alleviating population pressure in immigrant-sending countries. When emigrants flee their over-populated country, they make room for more babies to be born. Prospective parents avoid confronting the need for their children to eventually make a decent living. Two studies make that specific point.
Dr. Anne Brittain reported in 1991 a positive relationship between marital fertility and emigration, by district, in then present-day St. Vincent and the Grenadines, two Caribbean island countries with limited resources. She concluded that the “anticipated loss of children to migration may be an important factor in maintaining high reproductive rates”. Looking back in history, D. Friedlander reported that those nineteenth-century English and Welsh districts from which young people regularly emigrated showed much less reduction in marital fertility than would have been predicted by comparison with similar districts where a tradition of emigrating was not prominent.
An additional factor, pertinent to current international migration, is that emigrants not only relieve immediate population pressure in the country they leave but also send home remittances. Remittances from the US have accounted for as much as 40% of some countries’ foreign exchange.
The demographic effect on the US itself is two-fold. Not only the increase in numbers from the immigrant but also the future fertility effect. Drawing from National Institute of Health [NIH] studies, Abernethy reports that immigrants tend to have more births in the US than they would have had had they remained in their country of origin. The latter effect has implications for global population growth as well.
Critically important as well is the fact that for every person added to the U.S. population one acre of precious farmland (i..e with rich topsoil) or natural habitat for wildlife is converted to developed uses, de facto permanently (Pimentel, et. al. Cornell)
The foregoing are among the Reasons BALANCE pushes for an all-categories included Zero-NET Immigration Policy (about 150,000 out thus 150,000 in per year) —a de facto Moratorium. That would reduce Legal Immigration from about 1.5 to 1.6 Million per year. That would reduce the USA’s and the World’s Population Growth Rate.
Other benefits would accrue if a Moratorium were enacted because a number of additional costs flow from continuing to allow Mass Immigration.
Costs: U.S. Taxpayers Pay $330 BILLION PER YEAR NET (after subtracting taxes Immigrants pay) to pay for the federal costs of LEGAL Immigration alone (cf CCN Cost Study). That’s about $758 Million per Year Net (i.e., after subtracting Taxes Immigrants pay) per Congressional District and does not include Net State and Local Costs.
This year: President Trump has ordered a Moratorium (albeit temporary) on admission of some Categories of Immigrants, arguing, correctly, that Jobs and support should be reserved for the 30 Million+ unemployed Americans.
Unfortunately, the Joe Biden/Kamala Harris Team, is pushing a de facto Open Borders Agenda. Please help us stop it (See Below). The Agenda would:
- allow work permits for Illegal Aliens and Not Require the Use of E-Verify
- allow Chain Migration and the Visa Lottery to Continue
- not deter Border Surges or Asylum Abuse
- cause American Taxpayers to continue to pay for Health Care, Welfare for a majority of Legal Immigrants and Illegal Aliens
- continue to allow Mass Immigration which would force millions of unemployed Americans to compete with Immigrants for Jobs
Worse, the Addition of Harris to V.P. Biden’s Ticket will magnify the pressure both before (and after!?) the November 3rd Election to Enact an Expanded Open Borders Agenda, which would increase legal immigration and eliminate immigration enforcement!
Consider Harris’s Record:
- cosponsor of Dick Durbin’s (D-IL) Keep the STEM Talent Act which would exempt any foreign student who earned an advanced degree in a STEM major from any numerical limits. As CCN other studies have shown, the USA does not need foreign STEM workers…they would just displace qualified Americans
- cosponsor of Senator Lee’s (R-UT) Fairness for High-Skilled Immigrants Act which would eliminate per-country caps on employment Visas and thus greatly benefit Silicon Valley’s policy of Hiring Low Paid Indian Workers
- enact a Mass Amnesty of DACA Aliens and implement DAPA to protect DREAMERS and their parents and give Temporary Protected Status for some foreign nationals who are not yet in the country
- enact Senator Feinstein’s S175 the Agricultural Worker Program Act which would give illegal Farm Workers Amnesty
- Harris has consistently opposed efforts at Border and Interior Enforcement by, e.g., supporting Senator Cory Booker’s (D-NJ) S144 which would halt local law enforcement cooperation with ICE for enforcement purposes
- and she has pushed to decriminalize illegal border crossings
Unfortunately, all the foregoing will add clout to the Open Borders Crowd, but with your help we can stop them again. By comparison, consider the Trump Administration’s Immigration Accomplishments:
- Trump Bars Federal Contractors from Displacing American Workers with Foreign Guest workers
- 265 Miles of Border Wall System Completed
- President Trump Marks the Construction of 200 Miles of Border Wall
- Protecting American Workers, Halting Foreign Guest Worker Admissions
- Continuing Progress on the Border Wall
- Trump Imposes Anti-Coronavirus Travel Ban on Europe
- Trumps Signs Coronavirus Relief Package Excluding Illegal Aliens
- More Travel Restrictions on Iran
- Trump Administration Takes Action Against Sanctuary Jurisdictions
- Legal Immigration Reduced
- Trump Blocks Travel to China To Stem COVID-19
- Trump Administration Cracks Down on Birth Tourism
- Southwest Border Apprehensions Decline for 8 Consecutive Months
- Travel Ban Expanded to Six More Countries
Support BALANCE’s Activist Initiative for a Solution: BALANCE pushes a Zero-Net all-categories-included Moratorium on Legal Immigration which would still allow 150,000 inflow to match typical annual outflow. BALANCE is a genuine MASS Immigration Reduction Group (certain other National Groups not pushing a Moratorium are merely Mass Immigration Management Groups, a position counterproductive to achieving any immigration reductions at all) as we have repeatedly pointed out.
- Most Important, Contact & Re-Contact your Senators and Representatives and the 2020 Candidates! and Media, and Influencers to oppose Senators Harris and Lee’s (R-UT) S386 and Senator Durbin’s (D-IL) RELIEF Act as well as the outrageous “New Way Forward Act”.
- Above all, every organization and individual should contact Senators, Media and Influencers and push an all-categories-included Zero-Net Moratorium on Legal Immigration and emphasize that it would remove the Legal Immigration Magnets(e.g., the uncapped Asylee Category) attracting ever more Illegal Aliens.
- It is difficult if not impossible to stop most illegal immigrants unless one reduces the Magnet of Legal Immigration “Slots” such as the Uncapped Asylee Category.
- And focus on Specifics, e.g., How can communities and the nation ever ameliorate our intensifying Homelessness Crisis by annually welcoming in 1.6 Million Legal Immigrants per year with Taxpayer-funded Health Care, Welfare etc. Benefits, PLUS Amnestying 1.5 Million Illegals, many of whom would be provided with Taxpayer-funded Housing Assistance, as H.R.5038 does?! Or HR 6 which would Amnesty (i.e., legalize) Hundreds of Thousands of Illegal Aliens.
Please make a Tax-Deductible DONATION to BALANCE NOW to help Save our Environment and our Nation, by Credit Card on our website: BALANCE or by check to: Population-Environment Balance | P.O. Box 268 | San Francisco, CA 94104
Dollar for Dollar, Tax-Deductible Donations to BALANCE and its ASAP! Coalition Allies who push a Moratorium, create much more Political Clout for reduction in both Legal and Illegal immigration numbers than Donations to Mass Immigration Management Groups, i.e., those who refuse to push for an all-categories-included Zero-Net Moratorium.
And as Dr. V. Abernethy and Dr. Anne Brittain’s Research has shown, reducing immigration into the USA reduces the fertility rates in the sending countries, thus reducing the over-population pressures on Wildlife in those countries.
Help BALANCE intensify its Media, Public Education, Activist Mobilization and Lobbying Efforts with a Tax-Deductible Donation NOW.
Please forward this Alert to your friends who may be concerned about the Environment. The World’s Wildlife will Thank You.
And we Thank you,
Population-Environment Balance | P.O. Box 268 | San Francisco, CA 94104
Washington, DC address:
Population-Environment Balance | 1629 K Street NW, Suite 300 | Washington DC, 20006
BALANCE is anti-Mass-Immigration, not anti-immigrant.
BALANCE is the leading National Organization publicizing information regarding the Threat of Mass Immigration-generated population growth to our Environment, Nation, Budgets, and Personal Safety and Mobilizing Activists to Reduce it.